Wednesday 13 October 2010

Why Yoga??


I found Yoga, like most things in my life (and that includes my dear husband), by pure chance. About 14 years ago I jumped head first to a lake that unfortunately didn’t have much water in it. The top part of my head landed on the ground and from the motion my head tilted backwards towards my neck. It was a kind of a weep lush without being in a car. The pain was unbearable and I couldn’t turn my head or even hold it properly. I eventually got to see a Doctor and was told I was lucky to be alive or even walk. That accident left its mark and ever since I had pain in the right side of my neck. That pain used to regularly travel down below my right shoulder blade and to my lower back. I knew it was getting worse when the pain got to my right knee. I couldn’t even sit for long without having to shake that right leg from time to time. And then, one day seven years ago, for no apparent reason I decided to try out a Yoga class in my local gym.  I thought one only have to be a bit flexible to be able to do Yoga and I was strong as well from attending gym circuit classes. When I went into the Yoga room I felt confident. I thought I would be able to do everything that was on the menu. This was my first ego lesson… I suddenly realised that although naturally flexible my back was rather stiff and the Yoga poses were very demanding. I decided to go for it. I had to get better. It was a challenge to bit my own record each and every class. Some of the posses I still can’t do and some took me seven months of practice to be able to do. Some I’ve managed to progress my level in but after giving birth declined back down again. But one thing is sure; my back aches gone completely when I am practicing Yoga. When I am slacking, or can’t find the time in the day to fit the Yoga in my life the back aches come back to remind me what I am missing. So you could say for me Yoga is a necessity. But Yoga works also internally on the kidneys, the lever, the heart, the thyroid gland and other internal organs.  I know practicing an hour and a half daily would be ideal for me but I have to be realistic and look at my timetable. I think it would be fair to say that I can spare 15 minutes a day to start with and if I can, I should extend the practice. So this will be my next goal in the process of transforming my life.  If you’ve never done Yoga I would strongly recommend taking a few classes to get the postures under your belt and then start practice on your own. But if you have done it before, would you join my challenge?

2 comments:

  1. How did you meet your husband?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met my husmabd in a night club in Brixton on a night i was really not planning to go out....Just my luck :-)

    ReplyDelete