Monday 25 October 2010

Our Fabulous mind

A few posts ago I mentioned that I found Yoga by pure luck. This is not true! At the time I wrote the post that was what I remembered about getting to my first Yoga class. The truth is slightly different.
Seven years ago a friend of mine, who at the time was writing his novel, praised a book call The Artist Way by Julia Cameron. He told me the book was written mainly for writers who suffer from writers’ block but that he thought it could help anyone in their life.
Once I bought the book and had a look at it I realised this is actually a twelve weeks course with weekly tasks. One of the basic tasks that start from the first week and continue throughout the course is the ‘morning pages’. Those are pages a person who is taking the course upon himself commits to write every morning before he does anything else. 
I remember struggling at first with the idea but slowly it became apart of me.
One of the tasks was to explore something that was new to me. This is how I got to my first Yoga class.

Now it is my turn to praise the book! Although it is a twelve weeks course for artist who suffer from creativity block, and I do not consider myself an artist, the results of the course for me were life changing.
I was a little lost in my life at the time and stayed in the same place as I wasn’t sure where I wanted to be.  I truly believe that it is because I followed the course not only did I found Yoga but I also applyed for a job I wouldn’t have dare to before. That alone improved my social, personal and spiritual life.

I have no idea why my mind wondered there today but suddenly I realised that me writing the blog, although not first thing in the morning, resembles a little the ‘morning pages’ and me trying new recipes, taking up new hobbies is all too similar to the tasks in the course I took about seven years ago and didn’t even remember doing it.

I think it is amazing how our mind adopt things to itself and uses it later as its own. I also think it must be a very powerful book to be able to influence in such a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment