Thursday 21 October 2010

Salute to the sun!

I had a brilliant day today! I woke us usual by my younger son at about 6am, that’s half an hour before the alarm, but I was in a good mood. However, my back was tight and very uncomfortable so I did my usual morning stretch that includes resting my bottom on my heels and stretching with my arms forward. But when I was out of the bed and my son was standing in the shower, an activity he can do for ages, I had a thought: Why not use these moments that the little one is in the shower, the older one is still asleep and I am up before my usual time any way?
So I stood opposite the bathroom open door in the corridor and as my son was showering facing me I did The Sun Salutation.
To those of you who is not familiar with Yoga, The Sun Salutation (in Sanskrit: Surya Namaskar) is a series of twelve movements that are following one another and are synchronized with breathing.  Every Yoga session is usually starts with The Sun Salutation as it moves the spine in different direction and aid flexibility. It is a very energising exercise that helps with focusing the mind. This is what it looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzNNZo_ztXc  It was amazing to watch my son’s reaction. He was standing in the shower looking at me and then started to imitate the movements I was doing in a small scale. Like lifting his head up and back or just smiling to me when he could see my face again after I was facing the floor.
I continued with my morning routine of kids and school and by the time I was at my work desk I was in a brilliant mood ready to take over the world!!
I use to practice Yoga together with my eldest son and he really enjoyed it. I think its time to resume that with both boys. I just love the idea!

2 comments:

  1. Your post brought a smile to my face!!! I like the idea as well, not that I have been able to get myself to do Yoga (I AM trying tho!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad i made you Smile, Andrea! If you read my 'Why Niky is Right!' post http://lifeintransformationuk.blogspot.com/2010/10/why-niky-is-right.html I hope i'll get you to practice your Yoga as well :-)

    ReplyDelete