Monday 1 November 2010

Special people along the way

A few blogs ago (http://lifeintransformationuk.blogspot.com/2010/10/healthy-habits-for-better-life.html) I wrote about the sawing hobby I will take upon myself. It seems that nothing in this universe wanted me to do it. But eventually, in the right time it just happened.

After writing my blog, regarding the recycling (http://lifeintransformationuk.blogspot.com/2010/10/charity.html), it nudged me again. About a month ago or so, I got my daily email from a recycling website I am a member off (http://www.freecycle.org/). I wasn’t really looking for it but there it was a Singer 201K sawing machine on offer. I wanted a sawing machine for a long time but as I wasn’t sawing I never did anything about it. I Google the model up and I knew straight away I wanted it. I contacted the person who offered it and arranged to pick it up the next morning. When I rung to say I was on my way a lady said I can come but apologised she wouldn’t be able to help me lifting the machine to the car as her back is troubling her. I came to the house and was received by a lovely, looking like, a middle age lady, who showed me the sawing machine. In fact the sawing machine was so old that it still had the wheel and pedal underneath although it was converted to an electric machine. It was built in a cabinet that was opening up to a working table. In short, a real piece of beauty! Now I realised why she mentioned her back. The machine with the cabinet was extremely heavy and there was no way I could lift it. I suggested I will come later in the afternoon with my husband. We started chatting a little and she told me this sawing machine was belonged to her aunt, whom she was very close to, and that is why she found it difficult to let go of it. But now as she wasn’t sawing anymore she decided to give it away. We chatted about the area she was living in and she tried to engage with my less than two years old son and asked for his name. What threw me was that she told me she was living in that place for the past sixty years. I thought it was her parents’ house, but then she added, since I got married. I was standing next to an eighty two years old lady who talked, looked and behaves at least twenty years younger. Before I left she asked me if I want to see the machine is working but I told her I trusted her. When I came with my husband in the afternoon to pick up the machine she showed me that she took an old handkerchief and saw it up and down (it was still connected to the thread in the machine) just to show me it is still in working order. When she followed us to the car she was talking to my son through the car window and she remembered his name from the morning brief interaction with him.
I was so impressed by this woman I couldn’t stop telling my husband every piece of information she gave me about herself and her family. Her kindness, the way she was easily engaging with me and my son, her openness and honesty were the things that hooked me. I’ve decided to turn her handkerchief into a Lavender sack and post it back to her. This was my first project on the sawing machine. You can see it in the picture above.
There are times in life where you meet people that you know you will never forget. Mrs Derbyshire is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment